Charlotte, NC 28212
P.O. Box 25903
Charlotte, NC 28229-5903
There are three parent churches that were instrumental in the formation of our present church and the facilities through which we currently serve and worship God. They are Commonwealth Presbyterian Church (1940-1969); Eastminster Presbyterian Church (1941-1969); the merged Commonwealth-Eastminster Presbyterian Church (1969-1973); and Albemarle Road Presbyterian Church (1962- to the present day)
In 1967, Mecklenburg Presbytery purchased ten acres of land at 6740 Albemarle Road for the location of the growing Albemarle Road Presbyterian Church. The ground breaking for was April 16, 1967, and the Chapel Building was completed at a cost of $182,000! It was occupied and dedicated on July 7, 1968.
In the early 1970’s the State Highway Department began the project of widening Eastway Drive and construction of the bridge over Independence Boulevard. This forced the Commonwealth-Eastminster Church to sell to the Highway Department and to look to relocation.
Their Session approached the Session of ARPC suggesting a merger. ARPC had ten acres on which adequate buildings could be erected and Commonwealth-Eastminster had $440,000 from the sale of its property. A merger was initiated and on June 10, 1973, the two churches merged with a charter membership of 525 members, and retained the name Albemarle Road Presbyterian Church for the new church. Rev. Richard P. Shaw, pastor of ARPC since 1971, was elected Senior Pastor, and Rev. Robert C. Freeman, pastor of the Commonwealth-Eastminster Church, was elected Associate Pastor.
Early in 1975 the congregation approved a building program that included a 500-seat sanctuary, furnished with carpet, pews, and an Allen Digital Computer Organ; an Educational Building with nine classrooms; a Fellowship Hall/Gymnasium; parking lot and driveways at a cost of $948,146.
The ground breaking was April 13, 1975. The Educational Building was completed first and dedicated February 1, 1976. The Sanctuary and Fellowship Hall/Gym were dedicated on August 1, 1976. In 1993, a building campaign was held with the funds used to upgrade the gym and kitchen and add a new classroom wing to the building. The upgraded “Family Life Center” was dedicated February 6, 1994.
As a part of our community ministry, our Weekday School has evolved and existed for over 37 years. In May of 2004 new playground equipment was installed and dedicated to that endeavor.
A beautiful Columbarium-Prayer Garden was constructed in late 2001 and dedicated to God’s glory and as a ministry to our church families on May 5, 2002. The Chapel Building was renovated in 2004-05, and the chapel room was renamed “Calvin Hall.” ARPC’s Presbyterian Women worked diligently to create a beautiful new church parlor, which was dedicated in January, 2005. A major driveway and parking lot project included new curbs and complete resurfacing of the entire area and was completed in the spring of 2005.
The sounds of bells began to ring out over the ARPC campus in the fall of 2008 as we dedicated our new Carillon.